Minimum Age: 14
Course Duration: 24 hours plus 6 games
Course Prerequisites: None
Who is it for: Ideally suited to those wanting to become a referee involved in the 11 a side game both in Youth and Adult football.
Course aims and objectives: This course will provide an introduction to the laws of the game as well as developing the practical skills required to be a football referee.
Course Content: The course is run over 5 modules including the completion of 6 matches as a trainee referee, two of which should be observed by a referee coach.
The course can either be predominantly theory or practically based dependant on venue and can be run over a weekend or several sessions again depending on resources.
Module 1- Introduction
This module will introduce some key aspects in the following:
• Laws of the Game
• The role of the Referee
• Consider the skills require to control a game of football.
Module 2- Practical Element
Practical elements of the course will provide an introduction to:
• Warming up and cooling down activities
• Positioning & movement at both set pieces & in open play
• Managing game situations
• Signals & communication techniques
FA Safeguarding Children workshop (included in the course programme)
Module 3 - Examination
Both a multiple choice examination paper and a practical on field assessment are used to establish theory & practical knowledge.
1. Written element - both theoretical & practical courses
2. Theory DVD - used in mainly theory based courses
3. Practical on field assessment for use on practical based courses.
Module 4 - Refereeing
• 6 games are used to establish both the knowledge as well as the practicalities of refereeing.
• 2 of the games are observed by a referee mentor who offers immediate feedback and development points.
Module 5 - The next Steps
A 3 hour workshop designed to reflect on a trainee referees first experiences of refereeing and to offer development pointers.
Contact Referee Development officer, Jamie James, Jamie.firstname.lastname@example.org or 01743 362769